I loved Algebra in high school. Call me crazy, but I thought it was fun! Ask my daughter how she liked Algebra 2 Honors, and you will get a very different answer.
I am betting she would have done much better if she'd had the Algebra Explained app by iLearnFastSoftware.com. This app is actually makes Algebra fun!
Using entertaining videos, study cards and practice problems, this is so different than learning from a boring textbook. Designed by a former math teacher with a Masters in Curriculum Development, these lessons are so easy to follow. Some of the concepts in Algebra are very abstract, but they are explained using everyday language that makes it easy to understand.
When my oldest daughter was in 8th grade in private school, I paid a tutor on top of the tuition at the school as she struggled with Honors Algebra 1 and her teacher didn't have time to work with her. If this app had been available then, it probably would have saved me the extra tutor money!
To give you an idea of what this program features: (from the app page)
• Each lesson is an expertly produced video with clear examples that use coloring and animation to highlight key concepts
• 10 thoughtfully created and sequenced practice problems per lesson
• Study cards for key facts with the ability to edit, create or delete study cards
• Email your study cards to yourself or a friend
• Electronic scratch paper
• Electronic graph paper
• Quizzes and a test
• Problems & lessons that emphasize personal finance
• History of practice sessions
• Souvenir diploma for graduates
• **Add additional learners for free**
• Password protected login as desired
• Reporting to track progress by learner, lesson or date
All this for $3.99 for each chapter! Only 3 1/2 chapters are available at this time, but 3 more chapters will be available in the fall. The apps are currently available for the iPad and iPhone only, though the company is working on releasing it for Android.
My younger daughter starts Algebra this year, and I can't wait to see the difference this app makes for her!
I received codes to access these apps for purposes of this review. All opinions are my own.